Saturday, March 10, 2012

U2's Music with Rainer Maria Rilke's Poetry





The U2 song in question is Bullet The Blue Sky, from the 1987 album The Joshua Tree, the first U2 album that spoke to my condition. The poem in question is "The Man Watching"

How does this music and this poem go together? At first, I thought about mixing this media because the song had the lyric "Jacob wrestled the angel, And the angel was overcome." But the more I fiddled with it, the more I found things I liked. I liked the "glinkty-glinkty-glink" that was like a sound of a swaying chandelier in a house being buffeted by a storm. I liked it that the Rilke line "The landscape, like a line in the psalm book," had the same rhythm as Bono's line "His face red like a rose on a thorn bush." Someone's going to say "But Douglas, you didn't put that line from the song in the mix. You didn't put the line about Jacob wrestling the angel in the mix either. You're taking delight in associations that only exist in your head." Your point being?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Going On Here?

Pretty much what the tagline says. I'm reciting poems I like, and making mashups of poems I like with the music for which my ear hungers when I read and think of these poems. It is my sincere hope that other lovers of these poems will do likewise.