Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Difficulties by Kabir, Translated by Robert Bly


I believe it is not unreasonable for the old poets to be newly translated with each generation.  As Rabindranath Tagore is the translator of Kabir for my grandfather's generation, Robert Bly is the translator for my generation, publishing The Kabir Book in 1993.


While this translation is in a different style of language than Tagore, I believe Kabir would say that the vibration of his poem has been faithfully reproduced for this time.

Friend, please tell me what I can do about this mud world
I keep spinning out of myself!

I gave up expensive clothes, and bought a robe
But I noticed one day the cloth was well-woven

So I bought some burlap, but I still
Throw it elegantly over my left shoulder.

I stopped being a sexual elephant,
And now I discover that I'm angry a lot.

I finally gave up anger, and now I notice
That I am greedy all day.

I worked hard at dissolving the greed,
And now I am proud of myself.

When the mind wants to break its link with the world,
It still holds on to one thing.

Kabir says: Listen, my friend,
There are very few that find the path!





I confess that most people with whom I share this poem are not prepared for the phrase "sexual elephant" ("You stopped being a what-what?!?").  It's definitely not a phrase I commonly use.  On the other hand, perhaps it's a tip of the hat to the poet's country.

1 comment:

What's Going On Here?

Pretty much what the tagline says. I'm reciting poems I like, and making mashups of poems I like with the music for which my ear hungers when I read and think of these poems. It is my sincere hope that other lovers of these poems will do likewise.