Sunday, January 15, 2012

I Think The Hemlock Likes To Stand by Emily Dickinson



I am following the convention used by Robert Bly, and using the first line as the title. The poem has no title. Some people call it "The Hemlock," and some people call it "81," its number in the Complete Poems.



No, the hemlock tree has nothing to do with the poisonous herb used to kill Socrates. Hemlock trees can be found in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere, as the poem itself tells us.

When I was a child (maybe a teenager), I recall Falstaff beer having a jingle going "Falstaff! The thir----st slaker!" So to slake something means to quench a thirst for something. I'm much more familiar with "cloy" as an intransitive verb meaning "to become unpleasant," from my participation in the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. But cloy in this context is used transitively, meaning "to end by satisfying"

I hereby confess to you that on further review, I don't like the last verse of this poem, because it has nothing to do with the first three verses. But I like the first three verses enough to share this poem with you. Yesterday, it was both bitterly cold and snowing in St. Paul, Minnesota, which is comforting, as January has been unseasonably warm. This is a poem about life forms that are well-suited to bitter cold.


I THINK the hemlock likes to stand
Upon a marge of snow;
It suits his own austerity,
And satisfies an awe

That men must slake in wilderness,
Or in the desert cloy,—
An instinct for the hoar, the bald,
Lapland’s necessity.

The hemlock’s nature thrives on cold;
The gnash of northern winds
Is sweetest nutriment to him,
His best Norwegian wines.

To satin races he is nought;
But children on the Don
Beneath his tabernacles play,
And Dnieper wrestlers run.


I Think The Hemlock Likes To Stand - Emily Dickenson by douglasbass

This poem can be found in "The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson"

1 comment:

  1. Dear Douglas, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    I have been sick - I still am - that's why I didn't reply, sorry.
    As I was reading your posts, I was amazed how many styles, authors, intellectual-spiritual trends you embrace. I love it! Because of having a great taste of poetry, your interpretations are magnificent! Of course, it needs a voice like yours...

    After sending two of my poems to you I realized that even a couple of years ago my most often used words were: "mask", "cemetery" "prison". One of my latest poems shows how much I changed as I became intimately involved with spirituality. Below is an example for what I mean:

    SUNBIRD SONG

    Grateful for the curse, the bliss,
    for my memories and tears,
    for what I got and what is gone
    for the rain, the moon, the sun!

    Blow wind, blow with golden glow!
    Sweep away the bloody Earth!
    Bold spirit, fly high! Beneath
    swirling snowflakes hide the globe.

    I shall fly towards the light,
    for the sky I am designed.
    Infinity is the nest
    of my freelance dreams to rest.

    ***********

    I started a blog so that I can collect my Hungarian and English poems there but I have a big problem: I don't know what plug-ins might be necessary to format the text: the size of letters, the row spacing etc... Can you help me, please?

    I love your blog, it is gorgeous! Mine looks like a homeless - I am so clumsy to dress and decorate it!

    BTW: it bothers me that Marshall things he is the ONE and ONLY Messenger, whose work is the culmination of ALL ever revealed in the world. What I think is that many enlightened (what a well-trodden word!!)humans proceed to the same direction whose discoveries are complementary, not exclusive. Anyway, the STEPS offers a great methodology for self-progress.

    Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets (Sylvia Plath is another one I adore) who once advised to her young nephew to remain a child and not to grow up. (I am sure you know it better, but approx. it is the essence)

    Have a joyous blessed Christmas, and I wish you a great advancement in spirit and knowledge for 2013!

    ♥&☼

    Brig

    ReplyDelete

What's Going On Here?

Pretty much what the tagline says. I'm reciting poems I like, and making mashups of poems I like with the music for which my ear hungers when I read and think of these poems. It is my sincere hope that other lovers of these poems will do likewise.