Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's True I Went To The Market by Mirabai



Mirabai wrote poetry in India in the 13th century, the same century as Rumi in Turkey and Dante in Italy. Her and her poetry are beloved in India to this day.

When she refers to "the Dark One," she is referring to Krishna, as Shyamasundara "the beautiful, dark one," is one of Krishna's titles.

When she talks about the price she paid, she is referring to the scandal her devotion caused in her family, and what she left behind.

The line starting out "Mirabai says:" is the way people signed their poetry back in those days.

Why am I sharing this poem with you? Because I put up "These Spiritual Windowshoppers" by Rumi a few days ago, and I wanted to show an example of someone who, whatever else she was, was no spiritual windowshopper. This poem is her receipt, her proof of purchase.

My friend, I went to the market and bought the Dark One.
You claim by night, I say by day.
Actually I was beating a drum all the time I was buying him.
You say I gave too much; I say too little.
Actually, I put him on a scale before I bought him.
What I paid was my social body, my town body, my family body, and all my inherited jewels.
Mirabai says: The Dark One is my husband now.
Be with me when I lie down; you promised me this in an earlier life.

It's True I Went To The Market - Mirabai by douglasbass

This poem was translated from the Rajasthani language by Robert Bly, and it first appeared in the book Mirabai Versions

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Going On Here?

Pretty much what the tagline says. I'm reciting poems I like, and making mashups of poems I like with the music for which my ear hungers when I read and think of these poems. It is my sincere hope that other lovers of these poems will do likewise.