Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Logan Braes by Robert Burns



This poem is my tip o' the tam to Robert Burns, as his birthday is tomorrow, celebrated by Scots the world over. This poem is a contribution to Burns awareness, as it isn't as well-known as other Burns poems. And since Burns is already well-known for the battle hymn "Scots Wha Hae," I thought it might be nice to offer a Burns poem contemplating the costs of war.



This is already a song, sung to the tune "Logan Water," which has had multiple sets of lyrics over the years. Jean Redpath recorded this song in her collection of the songs of Robert Burns. Robert Burns wrote these in 1793, but they weren't published until 1800, as the anti-war message of the song was considered inflammatory, even seditious at the time. Someone made an "Anglicized" version with less Scottish words, and that is the version I'm using.

O Logan, sweetly did you glide
That day I was my Willie's bride,
And years since then have o'er us run
Like Logan to the summer sun,
But now thy flowery banks appear
Like drumlie winter, dark and drear,
While my dear lad must face his faes
Far, far from me and Logan braes.

Again the merry month of May
Has made our hills and valleys gay.
The birds rejoice in leafy bowers,
The bees hum 'round the breathing flowers.
Blythe morning lifts his rosy eye,
And evening tears are tears of joy.
My soul delightless all surveys,
While Willie's far from Logan braes.

Within yon milk-white hawthorn bush
Among her nestlings sits the thrush.
Her faithful mate will share her toil,
Or with his song her cares beguile.
But I with my sweet nurslings here,
No mate to help, no mate to cheer,
Pass widow'd nights and joyless days,
While Willie's far from Logan braes.

O, woe upon you, men of state,
That brethren rouse in deadly hate!
As you make many a fond heart mourn,
So may it on your heads return!
You mind not 'mid your cruel joys
The widow's tears, the orphan's cries,
But soon may peace bring happy days,
And Willie home to Logan braes!


Logan Braes - Robert Burns by douglasbass

This poem can be found in Poems and Songs of Robert Burns, free in the Kindle version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Going On Here?

Pretty much what the tagline says. I'm reciting poems I like, and making mashups of poems I like with the music for which my ear hungers when I read and think of these poems. It is my sincere hope that other lovers of these poems will do likewise.